Aug 19, 2019
EB 3411 - Applications of Biotechnology II3 lecture hours 0 lab hours 3 credits
This course is a continuation of Principles of Biotechnology (EB 2410 ) and Applications of Biotechnology (EB 3410 ) and covers applications of biotechnology. New modern biotechnology techniques and contemporary issues are discussed along with problem-based applications. (prereq: EB 3410 )
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the biotechnology tools previously learned toward applications in biomolecular engineering.
- Discuss new developments in a variety of biotechnology fields in regard to the biomolecular engineering field.
- Discuss the components necessary for founding a biotechnology company
- Apply their knowledge of biology, chemistry, and biotechnology to solve basic problems in the biotechnology and biomolecular engineering field.
Prerequisites by Topic
- knowledge of core biotechnology applications such as bacterial transformation, cloning, forensic analysis, DNA extraction, PCR, protein extraction, Western blotting, ELISA and plant biotechnology
- ability to apply the core biotechnology applications to biomolecular engineering in a manufacturing setting, i.e. scale-up
- knowledge of how biotechnology is used in current practice and in the field of biomolecular engineering
- ability to use biology, chemistry and biotechnology to solve basic problems in the biotechnology and biomolecular engineering field
Eryn L. Hassemer
[Add to Portfolio]