Mar 28, 2023
GE 4200 - Advanced MATLAB Programming3 lecture hours 0 lab hours 3 credits
This course builds upon students’ previous exposure to Matlab. After completing this course, students will be able to produce professional quality applications that solve real-world engineering problems using Matlab and to professionally document their work. In this course, students will learn to design, develop and test programs having graphical user interfaces (GUIs). Students will also learn to create sophisticated Matlab programs that interact with hardware, communicate with other devices via serial ports and by other means, can run outside the Matlab environment (i.e., be compiled) and call functions written in other modern computer languages. In particular, serial communications with embedded computer boards, such as the Arduino, will be covered. (prereq: sophomore standing, BE 2200 , GE 3901 or ME 190 )
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- No course learning outcomes appended.
Prerequisites by Topic
- General physics, math and engineering skills associated with sophomore engineering student standing.
- General procedure programming concepts such as variables, selection, repetition and file input and output.
- Previous exposure to the Matlab programming language and environment.
- Cell arrays, structures and other advanced Matlab data types.
- Dealing with uncontrollable error conditions.
- Standalone (compiled) Matlab programs.
- Generating and using pseudo-random values in Matlab.
- Matlab programs with professional GUIs.
- Matlab programs that send and receive information via USB connections.
- Matlab programs that communicate with embedded processor systems (specifically Arduino boards).
- Reintroduction to Matlab and Command Window. Console and Dialog Box I/O.
- Handling Errors & Variable Argument Lists
- Persistent Variables & Program Compilation
- GUIs (2 weeks)
- Timers and Related Topics
- Serial Communications and the Arduino (2 weeks)
- Examinations (2 weeks)
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)